Shanahan's on the Green
Dublin’s legendary Shanahan’s on the Green is the quintessential Irish/American high-end dining power restaurant. Well known for their attentive service, superb food and fine wines, Shanahan’s on the Green is the place to be seen and enjoy a slice of American history.
Enjoy Irish Angus beef and lobster or a chilled bourbon whiskey whilst chillaxing in the Oval Office with a view of John F. Kennedy’s rocking chair and and a wall with lists of all American presidents with Irish pedigree’s.
In addition to a creative and sumptuous menu, which features traditional steaks and Ireland’s native seafood combined with hearty side dishes and exquisite pastries, Shanahan’s has the finest in gracious service. The elegance of the food and service, however, is maintained in perfect harmony with the warmth, which personifies Ireland’s population, and a casual atmosphere that allows each patron to feel at home. From “The Oval Office”, the restaurant’s downstairs bar featuring historical documents and mementoes from each of America’s presidents of Irish Heritage to the dining and private rooms which reflect the exquisite Irish workmanship of both the building’s heritage and today, Shanahan’s is a blend of both cultures and history.
#119 St Stephen’s Green along with #120 share the distinction of being one of the two surviving purpose-built townhouses in Dublin. The buildings were designed by the renowned architect Richard Castle, otherwise known as Cassell.
While residing in “Proud’s Lane” (behind 119) before 1950, Castle commenced building of 119-120 which despite their external appearance, were intended as two separate dwellings. Unfortunately his death at Carton on February 19th 1751 prevented him completing the houses.
A tragic reference to the site appeared in the October 1760 edition of “Faulkner’s Journal” in which we are informed, “The body of a poor woman who plied about St Stephens Green was taken out of some water that lies in the foundations of the house adjoining Lord Jocelyn’s”. The “foundations” referred to have been identified by the Georgian Society as those representing the present No. 119-120 St Stephens Green West. A fact that may or may not explain the supposed haunting of No. 119!!
The original owner in 1761 was Richard Thwaites of Crampton Court, off Dame Street, kinsman of Augustine Thwaite, Jr. “the first to invent soda water”.
The first occupant of No. 119 was Frances Sadlier, of Sopwell Hall, County Tipperary, kinsman of John Sadlier also of Tipperary, the notorious politician and banking swindler whose nefarious activities were dealt with in fiction by, among others, Dickens, Lever, Hatton and Miss Braddock.
In 1782 Dr. T Kearney FTCD
In 1794 Richard Colles, Solicitor.
The longest dwelling family of No. 119 was the Gibbs family who lived here from 1829 to 1891.
No. 119 remained ‘vacant’ throughout 1892 – 1894 and was next occupied as commercial premises by the Stuart-James Pneumatic Tyre Company 1895-1896.
1896 – 1922 A & J Robinson, Solicitors
In 1922 Avon Rubber Tyre Company.
1937 – 1938 Avon Seiberling Tyre Manufacturers
1954 -1955 Mr J T McCormack, Architect, ARIBA, MRIAI
1965 – 1982 Irene Gilbert, Coutouriere, Daivid Hendriks, Art Gallery
1982 -1985 The Witches Hut, Ladies Hair Stylist
In 1985, the building was taken over by Mr. & Mrs. Peter White and was the famed restaurant “White’s on the Green”.
Gallager & Shorlynn occupied the building after the Whites and then Robbie Fox took over with the restaurant Baton Rouge.
In 1998, John M. Shanahan and his family took over the building and began a long refurbishment process that brought the building back to its original splendour and is now the home to Shanahan’s on the Green.
Shanahan’s On The Green is open Monday thru Saturday from 9am-7pm
119 Saint Stephen’s Green
Dublin 2, Ireland
phone: 01 4070939